These interviews are part of a series that highlights new hires within the industry. Have you recently started a new role or do you know someone who has? Submit your ideas to email@example.com.
Noni Hughes was recently hired as the general manager for Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland in Portland, Ore.
1. What are you looking forward to in your new role as general manager of Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland?
I’m excited about getting involved in the city and expanding my knowledge base in the urban space. Also, leading this amazing team to achieve great things.
2. How do you think your past industry experience has prepared you for this role?
My background is in the resort space, which typically are large properties with multiple offerings such as spa, golf course, multiple restaurants, etc. I learned how to juggle multiple revenue centers delivering favorable results to both top line and GOP while balancing associate culture.
3. What goals do you have in mind for the hotel this year and further down the line? I have four goals that
I have four goals that pertain to both performance and culture, which is really important to me as a general manager.
- Obtain the No. 1 spot on Trip Advisor—and maintain it!
- Beat out the competition by growing market share.
- Be known as one of the best employers in the city.
- Grow and develop staff member to achieve their highest potential.
4. How did you get into the industry?
I was born and raised on Maui, Hawaii, so naturally fell into the hospitality industry. My mom was the accountant for vacation rental firm and I remember going to work with her on Saturdays as a kid and stuffing brochures, etc. aspiring to work there myself someday (which I later did). My first job out of high school was at the front desk of one of the condo properties checking guests in and I later entered that same firm my mom worked for as a property manager. My career grew from there.
5. What do you enjoy most about the hospitality industry?
No two days are identical! In the hospitality industry, you get to make dreams come true, meet new people, create lasting friendships, be a little competitive and work with other amazing people. Sure, there are days that don’t go as planned. but the good days and smiles on guest faces far outweigh the challenges.